New at ODLS: Instructional Design for Virtual Learning (Webinar)
ODLS is pleased to now be providing a webinar-based skill-building series to support staff in converting their in-person trainings to on-line learning experiences.
Pre-work: Upfront Needs Assessment
Each participant (trainer) will submit an existing training program that they are experienced in delivering. Trainings should be no more than 1 day in length. Note: An ODLS Instructor will review each program design sent in to assess the current level of instructional design skill for each trainer.
- Evaluate staff/team background, experience and skill sets
- Better understand the needs/barriers of the target audience(s) for the trainings
Webinar #1 - Instructional Design for Virtual Learning:
- Topics to include: Adult Learning Principles for Virtual Learning; Critical Role of an Upfront Needs Assessment; Different Methods for Virtual Learning (i.e. synchronous vs. asynchronous); Best Practices for Virtual Learning (i.e. webinar length, size of groups, scheduling, etc.); Formatting Learning Materials; Designing for Interactivity (i.e. scenarios, exercises, quizzes, etc.)
- Homework: Program Re-design #1
Webinar #2 - Facilitation Skills for Virtual Learning:
- Topics to include: Best Practices for Facilitating Webinars (How to keep your audience focused); Setting Ground Rules for Webinars; Clarify Roles; Adapting Facilitation Skills for Virtual learning; Advanced Webinar Techniques (i.e. Polling, Breakouts, Whiteboard, etc.); Program Evaluation
- Homework: Program Re-design #2
Webinar #3 - Learning Lab: Breakout Discussion Groups & Large Group Debrief
- Instructional Design Learnings
- New/Improved Virtual Facilitation Skills
- Largest Changes/Improvements to Training Programs
- Challenges/Barriers to Implementation: Ownership of Intellectual Property; Maintaining CEUs; Other
Note: This webinar series can be shortened/compressed based on the target audience’s needs.
Contact Dana Henry, ODLS Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (413) 896-6140.
July 15, 2020