About Us: UMass Civic Initiative
The University of Massachusetts Civic Initiative is dedicated to promoting democracy through education in both the U.S. and abroad. Each year, we bring a select group of students, scholars, and professionals from around the world to the UMass Amherst campus for courses that examine modern politics and public policy.
Programs are designed for attendees to improve their leadership skills, increase their subject knowledge, and learn about U.S. culture. Our courses are based on engaging students through active learning, integrating classroom readings, lectures, and discussions with community-based, collaborative projects that offer practical, real-life experience.
Recent News & Updates
- Multiple outlets: Small town parade, meet the Civic Initiative!
- Before they leave for Amherst, Pakistan students meet the U.S. ambassador
- BusinessWest Magazine: UMass Donahue Institute Marks 51 Years Of “Pushing Corners”
- Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni Travel to UMass Amherst in Summer 2022
- Donahue’s Ken LeBlond co-authors journal article about overcoming U.S. and Pakistan stereotypes
- Multiple media outlets: India/Pakistan independence celebrated in Amherst
- International exchange can still happen, even if it’s over Zoom
- Despite international travel challenges, the Civic Initiative continues worldwide reach