About Us: UMass Civic Initiative
The University of Massachusetts Civic Initiative is dedicated to promoting democracy through education in both the U.S. and abroad. Each year, we bring a select group of students, scholars, and professionals from around the world to the UMass Amherst campus for courses that examine modern politics and public policy.
Programs are designed for attendees to improve their leadership skills, increase their subject knowledge, and learn about U.S. culture. Our courses are based on engaging students through active learning, integrating classroom readings, lectures, and discussions with community-based, collaborative projects that offer practical, real-life experience.
Recent News & Updates
- Civic Initiative: The wrap-up for Summer 2023
- Voice of America Deewa: Pashtun students talk about their summer at UMass Amherst
- Daily Hampshire Gazette: Chesterfield 4th of July parade includes international visitors from the Civic Iniative
- Multiple outlets: Pakistan’s ambassador visits Amherst to people-centric connections
- Middle East/North Africa group learns a lot about entrepreneurship on short visit to U.S.
- Civic Initiative alumni in Pakistan rally to help flood-damaged areas
- Multiple outlets: Small town parade, meet the Civic Initiative!
- Before they leave for Amherst, Pakistan students meet the U.S. ambassador