UMass Economic Contribution Analysis - FY 2018
Prepared for the UMass President's Office
The University of Massachusetts System offers invaluable educational opportunities in a wide array of disciplines and engages in important research activities recognized throughout the world. The general public tends to understand UMass’s role in these key areas, but is often unaware that the institution is also a major contributor to the statewide economy. UMass not only makes a direct contribution to the Massachusetts economy through the spending and jobs supported by its academic, administration, and construction activities, but also generates a “ripple effect” that leads to an even larger impact in the economy as a result of demand on suppliers of goods and services as well as employee spending.
The purpose of this report is to perform an objective analysis to quantify the economic contributions of the University of Massachusetts System and its campuses on the Commonwealth’s economy.
In brief: the results of the economic contributions analysis for fiscal year (FY) 2018 indicate that:
- The UMass System generated $7.5 billion in economic activity in FY2018.
- FY2018 represented a robust period of construction for UMass, making a significant contribution to the Massachusetts economy.
- State investment in UMass leverages significantly greater economic activity.
- UMass employee payroll recirculates through the Massachusetts economy causing positive economic effects.
- UMass generates additional jobs beyond the campuses.
- UMass student off-campus spending further supports the Massachusetts economy.
- UMass enrolled 74,705 students in the Fall of 2018. T
- Each of the five University campuses generated substantial economic contributions for Massachusetts in FY2018.
- The UMass System employed 17,622 full- and part-time faculty and staff in FY2018.
- More than 320,000 alumni live and work in the state.
- The UMass System attracted $374 million in federally funded research to the state in FY2018.
Click on the report below to read more in-depth about the summary provided above.